Welcome to the Georgia Forestry Commission
The Georgia Forestry Commission (GFC) is a dynamic state agency responsible for providing leadership, service and education in the protection and conservation of Georgia's forest resources. Our headquarters is located in Dry Branch, Georgia. District and county offices are located throughout the state. Commission professionals provide a wide variety of services including fire detection, issuing burn permits, wildfire suppression and prevention services, emergency and incident command system expertise, rural fire department assistance, forest management assistance to landowners and communities, the marketing and utilization of forest resources and nature services, and growing and selling quality tree seedlings for planting.
- Georgia Forestry Association Introduces Timber Theft Reward Program
- Following the signing of House Bill 790 â€“ the Georgia Forestry Associationâ€™s (GFA) initiative to strengthen Georgiaâ€™s timber theft and timber trespass statutes â€“ GFA officially reinstated its timber theft reward program in order to provide greater security to members who are concerned about protecting their timber assets.
- Meet & Greet Luncheon with new Society of American Foresters CEO, Matt Menashes
- Click the link above to find out more information on the Meet & Greet luncheon with the new SAF CEO, Matt Menashes on September 16, 2014 at the GFC Headquarters Auditorium in Dry Branch. Come out and gain some insight into Matt's vision for SAF and actively participate in discussions on some of SAF's emerging issues. There is no cost for lunch.
- North Georgia Forest Landowner Field Day
- The GFC will host a forest landowner field day September 19th from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Click on the link above for details and registration information.
- 2014 Georgia Division SAF-ACF Annual Meeting
- The GA division of SAF-ACF will hold its annual meeting October 20-21 at the Tifton UGA Conference Center in Tifton, GA. For more information and the registration form, click on the link above.
- Pine Straw Production - Stand Management & Economics
This course on November 5-6, 2014 at the Bulloch County Ag Center will provide information necessary to effectively manage pine stands for pinestraw. Click the link above for details.
- New Law Strengthens Timber Sale Regulations (click for details)
- A new law strengthening timber sale regulations and increasing protection for forest landowners went into effect on July 1st. House Bill 790 brings change to many parts of the timber sale process, including scale tickets, civil damages for unauthorized timber harvesting, unintended harvest protection for landowners, statute of limitations for damages, and the authority of GFC law enforcement officers to enforce all laws relating to the protection, security, conservation or sale of timber transactions.
- Report Shows Georgia Forests Remain Sustainable
- A new report shows Georgia's forests continue to be healthy and abundant, providing jobs, ecosystem services and nearly $29 billion to the state's economy.
- Arbor Day Webcast for Georgia Schools Available for Viewing
Fun, free event to help schools across the state celebrate Georgia Arbor Day.